Re: Email ID Declaration - Summary of Objections

2005-05-23 13:12:18
At 08:30 PM 5/23/2005 +0200, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

Now go away with your ID stuff and start working on it.  When it's
ready and when all MTAs in the world support it, you'll be twenty
years from now.  We can't wait that long.  Don't hold us back.

If I thought this ID proposal would hold back SPF, I would drop it immediately. On the contrary, I see it as facilitating the large-scale experiments the IETF wants to see done, and helping to prevent a "lock-in" by whatever group wins the upcoming marketing and PR battles.

What I would like SPF to be prepared for is six months from now having to suddenly switch away from SRS and grab an ID from some other place in the SMTP session. That ID will still use SPF, but the declaration will come in a different format. I can almost guarantee it won't be SRS format.

If you can state an objection in a clear and concise way, free from exaggeration, ad-hominem attacks, etc., I will include it in my presentation to the IETF.

--
Dave