Re: Email ID Declaration - Summary of Objections

2005-05-23 09:49:14
At 12:28 PM 5/23/2005 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005, David MacQuigg wrote:

> I've posted the summary at
> <http://purl.net/macquigg/email/IETF/authent-declare-objections.htm>http://purl.net/macquigg/email/IETF/authent-declare-objections.htm
> The statements of the objections are brief, and I hope accurate.  I will

Good luck with your mission to introduce another identity to the SMTP
protocol.  Since SPF is about authenticating the existing MAIL FROM
identity (despite its drawbacks), hopefully discussions of the new
ID identity will move to an appropriate list.

You must not have read the summary in the 7 minutes since I posted. This is not a new identity, just a way to declare an existing identity. It is no more a new identity than SUBMITTER or SRS.

This is also not a competitor to SPF. It is intended to be a universal way to declare an ID. It should be of interest to SPF advocates, because there will probably be *some* standard in this area, and this is your chance to have a say in it.

If you ignore the possibility of some items becoming a shared standard, you might waste time on development, deployment, and training for the SPF-only alternative. What happens to SRS if some standard declaration, not necessarily my proposal, becomes standard? What if the IESG, which is now considering SUBMITTER, says - OK, this will be the standard if you just delete the frivolous restrictions to PRA only. Would you rather use SUBMITTER or the proposed ID? You may not have the choice of SRS.

--
Dave