Re: overall HELO FAIL

2005-05-27 11:29:48
Julian Mehnle wrote:

"SHOULD/RECOMMENDED" != required.

You need excellent technical reasons to violate a SHOULD.
Like an old application implemented before the SHOULD.

Or a situation where it's obviously dubious, for SPF the
post-SMTP stuff is among the usual suspects.  Or for the
HELO-test if you already have a good CSV result.

"I don't like it" is not good enough to violate a SHOULD,
in that case I'd recommend s/SHOULD/MAY/ as it was in the
mengwong drafts.

explain why you think that domain owners cannot confidently
define their policies without knowing exactly how receivers
will relate HELO and MAIL FROM results.

Simple my.homepage.example or xyzzy.dnsalias.org domain owners
use third parties as smart hosts, or they have an MTA but don't
know exactly where to configure its HELO identity.

In the first case (a smart host) the HELO identities affecting
their mail are completely outside of their control.  The second
case is more like RTFM.  One of these manuals is schlitt -02pre

                         Bye, Frank