Re: Re: overall HELO FAIL

2005-05-27 11:43:17
In <4297671C(_dot_)5F64(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> Frank Ellermann
<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> writes:

Julian Mehnle wrote:

"SHOULD/RECOMMENDED" != required.

You need excellent technical reasons to violate a SHOULD.
Like an old application implemented before the SHOULD.

Or a situation where it's obviously dubious, for SPF the
post-SMTP stuff is among the usual suspects.  Or for the
HELO-test if you already have a good CSV result.

"I don't like it" is not good enough to violate a SHOULD,
in that case I'd recommend s/SHOULD/MAY/ as it was in the
mengwong drafts.

RFC2119 says:

3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

While, "I don't like it" is not good enough, I think "it is not worth
the DNS lookups" is perfectly ok, as long as people understand the
implicatiions.

Of course, in the real world, people ignoire MUST and REQUIRED all the
time, treating them as barely more than MAY.

-wayne