Re: Re: This is ridiculous.

2005-06-07 06:17:29
At 05:37 AM 6/7/2005 +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:
wayne wrote:

> the merger split the SPF community, but that is a different
> subject.

Digging through old archives I found the famous CYA thread:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.discuss/8119>
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.discuss/8162>

43 weeks and 4 days ago,  An interesting thread started by
John Glube on mxcomp (later he told me what "CYA" means ;-)

> Not many people, besides me, really objected to the
> mysterious switch from RFC2821 identities to RFC2822
> identities after the MARID interim meeting, even though there
> never was even a confirmation done on the mailing list.

Maybe an obscure deal between the SID and CSV camps, "SID gets
2822, CSV gets 2821, SPF is dead".

My theory is that there is an evil genius at M$ who planned it all. They needed time to catch up, and the evil plan was to get all their competitors locked in a death spiral while they go off and solve the problem. Without all the debates, the email authentication problem would have been solved a year ago, and we would now be deploying the second generation protocol, the one that fixes whatever problems turned out to be real.

--
Dave