Re: hosting services for the official SPF website

2005-06-10 10:14:37
I didn't mention, but I run a dedicated server, but use the Ensim control panel to do virtual hosting for my clients - it makes it very easy. It uses various techniques (Apache support for multiple domains, chroot, etc.) to do this, and occasionally will conflict with an application.

Okay, the disk space and bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. We have a 3 TB bandwidth cap per month on this server, and are using about 5% of it at the moment ;-)

What about software requirements? I'm not familiar with Mason, and I don't know what else you run on the site. The reason I ask is that I would prefer to put these under control of the Ensim control panel. I have a lot of experience doing this with LAMP applications, and they usually work fine, although sometimes I have to tweak PHP settings like global variables or safe mode. I have had trouble with Perl applications.

We're running Apache 2.x also, I should have mentioned that.

If it looks like a match, I'd like to try a test mirror attempt and see if everything works ;-)

Thanks!

Fred

wayne wrote:
In <42A9C186(_dot_)2080903(_at_)laxton(_dot_)net> Fred Laxton
<linuxlista(_at_)laxton(_dot_)net> writes:

I'm interested in running a site mirror.  Any idea how much disk space
and bandwidth is in use?

Right now, we are using 1.2GB of disk space, but that includes the OS
and both a tar file of the website, and an unpacked version of the
website.  I expect that once we start working on the new website, our
usage will increase.  Ditto if we move any of the bug tracking
services, mailing lists or the spf-council wiki over to the official
SPF website.

Let's be safe and say "at least 10GB".  (Yeah, as if that is a serious
amount now a days.)

The bandwidth usage is not clear.  Meng says that spf.pobox.com
doesn't even get 1hit/sec and the "usage is quite low".

                         I could set up rsync or wget to pull in
changes and post them on the mirror, no problem.

I think you would need to use rsync in order to get the mason source
for the current website.  rsync would, of course, be needed if we are
going to mirror other things as well.

Thanks for asking about the requirements.  I should have said so up
front.
-wayne

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf