Re: where is SES/BATV/ABBS?

2005-07-05 09:40:00
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, wayne wrote:

Is anyone currently using or working on things like SES?

Yes.

In particular, what is the format of the local part that you using?

Currently, I use SRS to self sign.  Implementing the "original" SES (which
is more like BATV and doesn't compute a hash of the body) would have
shorter local parts, and has been on my TODO list for a while.  But
despite being ugly, longer, and repeating the domain twice, SRS does the job.
I use pysrs, which provides a sendmail socket-map, and some config macros
to call it.

Have you run into systems that have rejected email because it has
"invalid characters" in the local part?  Or because the local part is
"too long"?

Never had a problem with "too long".  Have had problems with braindead
systems rejecting '+' in the localpart.  When I've spoken with the sysadmins,
the excuse is that "they see a lot of spam using + in the localpart".

Do you use ABBS/SES/BATV for blocking bogus bounces?

Yes.

Do you use ABBS/SES/BATV in your SPF record with the stub DNS server?

No.  Really want to, but haven't found/written a python stub DNS server yet.
I want any stub DNS servers to use a VM based language like Python or Java
since it will by definition contain custom, and hence less thoroughly tested
code, and buffer overflows scare me.

The reason why I'm asking for details is because I want to learn about
actual deployment experience and not just the concept.

One of the most recent posts to the SES-devel mailing list was made by
me on May 28th offering to help move the project forward.  I'm not set
on SES, either in it's "original" for or it's current form, but I
would like to see something like it move forward.

For blocking bogus bounces, almost anything works.

To be used for authentication, there must be some kind of replay and/or
content protection, and that is what the new SES is trying to do.

The pymilter project on sourceforge has the original SES code in CVS
for the pysrs package.  I may even be able to include it in the next pysrs
release if my customers would just leave me in peace for a second . . .