Re: Old TXT records included by new SPF records

2005-07-12 09:06:52

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, johnp wrote:

Do we have an operator which will allow a new SPF record to include an old TXT record, and vice versa ?

Have you read the draft? Especially pay attention to 3.1.1:

   An SPF-compliant domain name SHOULD have SPF records of both RR
   types.  A compliant domain name MUST have a record of at least one
   type.  If a domain has records of both types, they MUST have
   identical content.

In other words you can't have include - entire purpose is to make sure
you don't do any extra lookups when you have new RR and they must be
duplicated.

I'm guessing that a TXT record using include: will only look for a TXT record in the included zonefile at the moment?

Where did you get that idea? The include will look for ANY spf record
in the hostname specified (which does not have to be in the same zonefile
at all).

Maybe something like includespf: is needed?

Sometime ago I mentioned need for being able to include particular SPF scope record with include (exchanged some emails about with Mark privately)
and that would be more like "includespf".

But what you're looking for is include for the same zone allowing to
duplicate one type of record in another (inter-zonefile CNAME across RR
types) and that would have to be implemented as a macro to be supported
by dns server itself. I don't know if this will happen or not, dont bet
on it and its not spf-specific question anyway. For now best you can do
is make sure your SPF (RR99) is just a duplicate of TXT manually.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks