Re: Survey: When does SPF cause legitimate email to be rejected?

2005-08-06 11:46:38
In <NGBBLEIJOEEEBMEIAPBKEECLIMAA(_dot_)scott(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> Scott
Kitterman <spf2(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of wayne
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 2:29 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] Survey: When does SPF cause legitimate email to
be rejected?

Looking through the SPF-Help RT reports, it looks like the roaming
user problem is actually roaming user problem is the most frequent,
but I haven't studied the reports closely enough to be sure.

The bulk of these are actually registrar/DNS provider/domain host published
record on behalf of the domain owner without talking to them and put -all at
the end.  Mydomain.com's decision to do this has had a very big impact on
the number of complaints we get.

Yes, I guess I should have been clearer.  I knew that this was a
problem, but I guess I'm trying to find out what actually is causing
these emails to fail.

The biggest category that I've seen that would have to go into "Other" is
misconfigured/buggy SPF checking.  It's also the most frustrating because
about all I can say is that you mail should have been accepted.  IIRC, this
is usually a matter of receivers not realizing that they are rejecting
results other than Fail or doing post SMTP checking and checking the wrong
IP address.

Interesting.  I guess I had forgotten about post-SMTP checking.  Good
point.

-wayne