Re: Survey: When does SPF cause legitimate email to be rejected?

2005-08-06 13:28:19
I think the most common two instances I've seen on my mailservers both fall loosely into this category:

* Legitimate email being rejected due to being sent from the wrong
 location.  (aka the traveling mailman problem, or the roaming/home
 user problem.)

1) It's been difficult to get email through to our secure mailserver from all ISPs when users are travelling. Some of the dial up ISPs seem to grab the email packets and make them go through their own servers instead, regardless of how "outgoing mailserver" is set on the email client. This results in some of their mail to 3rd parties that check SPF getting blocked as coming from an illegitimate IP. We've had some success getting around this using alternate ports but when users are on the road they are often not highly receptive to spending lots of time on the phone screwing around with their mail settings to work it out.

2) We've had some problems with legitimate autogenerated mail from websites that have put our users' names as the "from". For example when we first started publishing SPF records some of our users couldn't get the shipping delivery alerts on the FedEx site to work with SPF-checking recipients because FedEx placed the package sender's email in the "from" instead of FedEx's own. FedEx has since fixed this.

We also had an isolated incident falling into one of these categories:

* Legitimate email being rejected due to SPF records not containing
 all IP addresses that they should

* Legitimate email being rejected due to SPF records having syntax
 errors.

3) This was a case of certain legitimate email from eBay not arriving. The problem seemed to be limited to email alerts regarding question and answer messages sent by other eBay users. These alerts were coming from addresses of the form ebayapp(_at_)sj-v3conta*(_dot_)sjc(_dot_)ebay(_dot_)com were getting blocked (ebayapp(_at_)sj-v3conta01(_dot_)sjc(_dot_)ebay(_dot_)com for example) as not being permitted senders. My users found this a rather urgent matter so I found it most expedient at the time to get around the problem using whitelisting. Therefore I do not know if eBay has since resolved the problem.

We have not had any problems with outgoing mail that was successfully sent through our secure mailserver, as far as I have heard.

Hope this helps.

--Kaas

A question for those who have spent a lot of time helping point solve
problems with SPF failures.

What are the most common failure cases for SPF?  (Please indicate
which is the most common.)

For example:

* Legitimate email being rejected due to forwarding.

* Legitimate email being rejected due to being sent from the wrong
 location.  (aka the traveling mailman problem, or the roaming/home
 user problem.)

* Legitimate email being rejected due to mailing lists not rewriting
 the MAIL FROM address

* Legitimate email being rejected due to SPF records not containing
 all IP addresses that they should

* Legitimate email being rejected due to SPF records having syntax
 errors.

* Legitimate email being rejected due to SPF records being used for
 PRA checking instead of MAIL FROM checking, or similar cases where
 the SPF record is not being used as intended.

* Other cases

While it is fairly easy to detect when SPF is rejecting email, it is
much harder to distinguish between legitimate emails being rejected,
and when some spammer has forged email and the rejection is exactly
what we want.

Looking through the SPF-Help RT reports, it looks like the roaming
user problem is actually roaming user problem is the most frequent,
but I haven't studied the reports closely enough to be sure.

-wayne