Re: Survey: When does SPF cause legitimate email to be rejected?

2005-08-06 15:59:18

In <001c01c59ac5$6ba9eba0$e800a8c0(_at_)bigpig> "Kaas Baichtal" <kaas(_at_)baichtal(_dot_)com> writes:

3) This was a case of certain legitimate email from eBay not
arriving. The problem seemed to be limited to email alerts regarding
question and answer messages sent by other eBay users. These alerts
were coming from addresses of the form
ebayapp(_at_)sj-v3conta*(_dot_)sjc(_dot_)ebay(_dot_)com were getting blocked
(ebayapp(_at_)sj-v3conta01(_dot_)sjc(_dot_)ebay(_dot_)com for example) as not
being permitted
senders. My users found this a rather urgent matter so I found it most
expedient at the time to get around the problem using
whitelisting. Therefore I do not know if eBay has since resolved the
problem.

(wayne(_at_)footbone) $ host sj-v3conta01.sjc.ebay.com
sj-v3conta01.sjc.ebay.com A 10.6.189.174
(wayne(_at_)footbone) $

*sigh*

Someone in ebay has some fundemental misunderstandings about DNS....

I have long had many ebay.com MTAs listed in the T-FWL.  That should
cut down on some of the problems.

Can you identify the *real* IP addresses that these emails are coming
from?  If so, I can list those IP addresses also.

-wayne

Sorry, I think those logs are long gone but if I have another opportunity to get that information I'll do so and let you know.

--Kaas