RE: [spf-discuss] Is SenderID supposed to stumble on garbage records? (paging Jim Lyon) C&C

2005-08-27 08:58:25

-----Original Message-----
From: Allyn Wade [mailto:allyn(_dot_)wade(_at_)cp(_dot_)net]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 4:44 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Is SenderID supposed to stumble on garbage
records? (paging Jim Lyon) C&C

Scott wrote:
BTW, since you almost bring it up...  Thank you for the service
you've done me and the implementation I help maintain with your
SPF record.  Your domain makes a good test case for processing
limits.  A compliant implementation returns PermError, FYI.

Thanks for helping advance the cause,

Scott K

In the spirit of advancing the cause... I think you may be reaching
PermError for the wrong reason.

I couldn't resist giving an spf check against this domain a whirl, and my
implementation returned a PermError immediately, when it encountered the
%{r} macro in the exists mechanism:

  exists:%{l};%{i};%{h};%{r}_spf.nextbus.com

According to the latest spec:

   The following macro letters are only allowed in "exp" text:

      c = SMTP client IP (easily readable format)
      r = domain name of host performing the check
      t = current timestamp

So my implementation returns PermError when it sees this.  Does
anyone think
that it shouldn't be doing this?

Cheers,
Allyn

Thanks.  I filed a bug on sourceforge to make sure I don't forget to fix
that one.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1274645&group_id=13
9894&atid=744815

Scott