Re: Is SenderID supposed to stumble on garbage records? (paging Jim Lyon) C&C

2005-08-25 15:13:58
Matthew Elvey wrote:
On 8/24/05 5:29 PM, Scott Kitterman sent forth electrons to convey:

I'm curious what makes you think this is anything to do with SPF or even
Sender ID.

There's some reason that exchange.microsoft.com sent me the mail it did, and Sender ID seems to be the most likely reason, as it's likely to be doing Sender ID checks that would produce a FAIL. As I stated before, it's possible it's something else. Clear? If you think there's another reason, please enlighten me.

From reading the bounce, I'm guessing they didn't like the recipient address, but I agree it's not clear:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached. Please access the original message from "Sent Items" and resend to recipient(s).

    jimlyon(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com on 08/23/2005 12:07:47
        554 5.4.4 Unable to route

I would have expect that if SenderID was involved you wouldn't get a recipient error. Exchange is odd in so many ways, it just seemed like a leap to blame SenderID.

Who knows.

Scott K

P.S.  No need to cc: on list traffic.  I do read the list.