Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Weird spf record

2005-10-31 10:12:09
In <20051029204343(_dot_)GC5857(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net> Alex
van den Bogaerdt <alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net> writes:

If this would have happened, I guess there's a good chance we
would have agreed on "v=spf[0-9\.a-zA-Z]* being reserved for
SPF and its version, and all other characters being syntax error.

I think this was discussed back in early 2004 and the general opinion
back then was that any future standard could define new SPF version
strings any way they want.

I also think you could pretend that has happened if you wish to
warn those others.

Sure, pretend there is a "too close to SPF records" standard that
excludes various TXT records that are too similar.  You just can't say
that it is "SPF".

People talked about creating things like "v=spf1-test", or
"v=spf1-mfrom" records to denote other, SPF-like records.

example2.com    IN TXT "v=spf1-all"
example2.com    IN TXT "v=spf1 -all"
[...]
example2.com would result in no error.

That's a nice case for SPF test suites.   Bye, Frank

As is the equivalent "v=spf1" "-all".  By the way, isn't there a
chance that this doe not end up as "v=spf1-all" but could it also
end up as "-allv=spf1" if the strings are long enough?

While I have never been able to find anything explicitly in the RFCs,
to the best of my knowledge, all name servers and resolvers keep the
order of substrings within a single TXT record the same.  It would be
a lot of work for them not to.  This is completely different from
having multiple TXT records, which *do* often change order.

-wayne