[spf-discuss] Re: Is best guess moronic?

2005-11-18 06:23:21
Hector Santos wrote:

don't you think the header:
        Received-SPF: pass (... Best Guess...)
is wrong?

Depends on what you want.  If it's your personal system you
probably want to use "best guess" results exactly like real
results for scoring (or as hint while analyzing the header).

It's trivial to forge a Received-SPF header field.  Therefore
users intending to do something with it will always have to
configure some kind of "plausibility" tests.  While they do
this the are free to ignore "best guess", or use a different
scoring for guesses.

Received-SPF isn't good enough for "plug and play" solutions,
adding "best guess" doesn't change that significantly.

With an IETF "last call" I seriously doubt that they'd let us
get away with this first new trace header field since STD 10.

It was on my short list for "drop it" if Bruce / Keith / Tony
would have started some serious objections.  It's ugly very
near to FUBAR.
                        Bye, Frank