RE: [spf-discuss] Re: Is best guess moronic?

2005-11-18 09:54:57

-----Original Message-----
From: Hector Santos [mailto:spf-discuss(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com]
Sent: vrijdag 18 november 2005 16:16
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Is best guess moronic?

IMV, this is the exactly the sort of activity the "SPF COUNCIL" is sup-
pose to be the watch dogs for.

You heard the hysteria... Now the facts from your SPF Council:

Mail::SPF::Query does NOT, by default, enable the 'best guess' mechanism.
Let me repeat that: NOT. And shouting real hard about it does not make it
so, either, btw. "guess", like "debug", "trusted", etc, is a parameter
that needs explicit setting; like so:

my $query = new Mail::SPF::Query (ip => "127.0.0.1", sender =>
'foo(_at_)example(_dot_)com', helo => "somehost.example.com",
trusted => 1, guess => 1);

Look, I only brought it up because a USER did think SPF passed a domain,
when in fact, it did not. The domain did not designate the IP address
as permitted sender. It was a complete lie.

A 'lie' based on a 'best guess' mechanism explicitely enabled by the
receiver, who deliberately turned this option on for his or her local
reasons.

Mail::SPF::Query comes with a myriad of extra stuff, like: local => 'extra
mechanisms'. or 'trusted', to "include:spf.trusted-forwarder.org". Heck,
it even comes with a callerid param. :) None of which affects SPF, or the
reference implementation, in the least, as none of this extra stuff is
enabled
by default.

What is next? Are we gonna yell now, because a relay got a "pass" because
of appearing in trusted-forwarder.org? And because Mail::SPF::Query comes
with an easy, optional parameter to enable the inclusion? I hope not.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,