Re: IAB appeal or not - please comment (Re: [spf-discuss] Re: [RFC State] <draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02> has changed state)

2006-01-25 06:07:33

On Jan 24, 2006, at 22:31, Mark Shewmaker wrote:

###Begin conspiracy alert:  (This isn't something I *think* I
###                         believe, but it's had me thinking)
###

One thing that's recently crossed my mind is that we've all been
assuming that Microsoft truely wants SenderID to succeed.  I think we
should at least consider the opposite from time to time, (although in
general I don't like trying to explain things with conspiracy theories.)

Gentle Folk,

Dealing with Microsoft is always delicate but it is no different than dealing with representatives of any big company. (Disclosure: In my day job, I work for IBM.)

Inside large companies, the spam problem is seen differently by groups with different agendas. Operations see spam as a scourge. They need tools to help battle it. Management, in Microsoft's case, has an image problem of having "insecure" systems that cause much of the spam (i.e. zombies). They have to appear to be doing something. Two year deadlines to eliminate spam ensue. Research staff (e.g. the SenderID folks) want to meet the challenge. If they meet it, they get a promotion. And, more importantly, they get more freedom in pursuing problems in the future. In Microsoft's case, they also have an internal competitive issue of who has the biggest brain. A solution has to be seen as both innovative while being aligned with "important corporate initiatives". The CallerID spec was aligned with the corporate initiatives (XML) but was late to the innovation game. SPF had already filled that niche. So, SenderID was re-engineered and this very ugly PRA concept was hatched which leveraged the client. (Microsoft always rewards their engineers for technologies that require client side processing.) In other words, no conspiracy is needed to describe the history - just normal human organizational behavior interacting with the wider internet mediated world.

So where does this leave us in the conflict between SPF and SenderID? I contend it leaves us where we have always been - with SPFs destiny in our hands. The other email vendors have mostly dropped SenderID for almost the same reasons that we have dropped it. It has unknown Microsoft IP encumbrances and, frankly, PRA offers little to no value after you have received the spam over a digital signature method like DomainKeys. In fact, because DomainKeys leverages the same out of "SMTP band" identity pattern as SPF, it means that email operators who accept either mechanism have good reasons to accept both mechanisms. I think we need to market SPF as the RFC 2821 time mechanism and DomainKeys as the RFC 2822 time mechanism. SPF allows connection time rejection of forgeries. DomainKeys allows cryptographically assured identification of the sending server.

I think this leads to a natural marketing campaign for SPF. SPF is the front line defense against forgery that helps DomainKeys (by reducing server load) authenticate the email domain. In other words, sell to our strengths - we hit forgery. Ignore SenderID. It is DoA. In many ways, SPF has already won. Many email servers, commercial and open source, already support or their plug-in models allow SPF into the mail processing stream. There is little infrastructure that needs further development. We just need to get the experimental RFC out the door and get on with business.

Andrew

P.S. We still have the forwarding "bugbear". In my opinion, this is a non-issue. Many people have come down strongly on the side of protecting their domain/brand equity with SPF versus supporting an optional feature of SMTP. I think we really have to turn this argument around. Spam revealed design flaws in SMTP. SPF is the minimally intrusive mechanism to help mitigate these flaws. With respect to forwarding, you can either change your forwarding infrastructure into a proper emailer (with appropriate header field rewriting) or choose not to use SPF. Most of the commercial forwarding services are adopting the former solution. (Frankly, the vast majority of organizations don't forward email. This is really an issue of the IETF digerati, many of whom use forwarding. IETF seems to have no sense of proportion of relative value of features determined after deployment. Every feature is "special" and above average. ;-)

Andrew W. Donoho
awd(_at_)DDG(_dot_)com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)

"To take no detours from the high road of reason and social responsibility."
    -- Marcus Aurelius