Re: [spf-discuss] Godaddy Policy

2006-03-03 10:52:39
I certainly appreciate the reply and I thank you.  I
wish godaddy had been as forthright about this.  They
seem to evade issues.

There's something else I'm curious about, Scott, and
you seem to be quite knowledgable.  Why is it that my
domain (or anyone's for that matter) got chosen for
spoofing?

--- Scott Kitterman <spf2(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:50:08 -0800 (PST)
"pay_now(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com"
<pay_now(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:
Want to rant a bit, and get some opinion to make
sure
I'm not out of line.

For months now my domain has been spoofed with no
end
in site.  Godaddy is the host and registrar.

When I first reported it to them they sent some
message to me describing what spoofing is, etc.

I would send them bouncebacks and get no response.
Of
course, I would complain about the lack of
response.

Finally, I get this response from them:

"We have received your reply.

We want to thank you for sending us the bounce back
message headers.  We have researched your issue and
unfortunately we cannot prevent spoofing, nor can
any
other ISP.  We want to apologize for the trouble
you
have experienced.  SPF can help reduce the amount
of
spoofing but ultimately spoofing is a criminal
activity and the only way to prevent it is to
pursue
the offender legally.

If the office can assist you with further comments
or
concerns, let us know."

I'm wondering.  Is this just a brushoff?  Are the
companies that can do better than this?  Godaddy
allows you to publish SPF records, which I'm still
trying to learn.

Thanks.

Godaddy is right.  There is nothing they can do
directly.  This is the way SMTP works.

This is the problem  SPF is trying to solve.

Scott K

Archives at
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,