Re: [spf-discuss] Inconsistency in SPF spec re. "domain-spec"

2006-03-20 12:04:03
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Kurt Andersen wrote:

Section 6.l provides an example of redirect with an illegal (according
to the LDH rule) record.  This is not just an academic issue, as the
current records for Microsoft and even POBox themselves violate the
LDH specification (by using underscores '_'). I have not combed the
spec for further examples, but I suspect that they are there too.

The underscore is used precisely because it is perfectly legal for
DNS, but not for some other purposes.  This prevents naming conflicts.
While the initial domain for SPF is an SMTP compatible domain, subsequent DNS
names referenced in SPF records can be anything allowed by SPF syntax.
Redirects, includes, and exists often reference names under a '_spf'
subdomain.

If the SPF spec as published prohibits '_', then this is a mistake.
I'll take a look.  There are a number of such editing nits held up by the
absence of Wayne.