Re: [spf-discuss] Inconsistency in SPF spec re. "domain-spec"

2006-03-20 12:58:33
On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:44:38AM -0800, Kurt Andersen wrote:

After pondering the issue with the "domain-spec" of SPF not matching
RFC 1034's definition, I have found another, perhaps more serious
inconsistency.  (See the earlier thread on spf-discuss found at:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.discuss/20772 for details.)

Section 6.l provides an example of redirect with an illegal (according
to the LDH rule) record.  This is not just an academic issue, as the
current records for Microsoft and even POBox themselves violate the
LDH specification (by using underscores '_'). I have not combed the
spec for further examples, but I suspect that they are there too.

I strongly urge the council and the authors to correct this
inconsistency by expanding the definition of "domain-spec" in the SPF
draft to match RFC 1034 before this problem becomes formalized.

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/apa/names.html

RFC 1034

Updated by 1101, 1183, 1348, 1876, 1982, 2065, 2181, 2308, 2535, 4033,
4034, 4035, 4343, 4035

--
:: Jeff Macdonald | Principal Engineer, Messaging Technologies
:: e-Dialog | jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com