[spf-discuss] Re: Inconsistency in SPF spec re. "domain-spec"

2006-03-20 13:42:39

Problem part of the spec:

domain-spec      = macro-string domain-end
domain-end       = ( "." toplabel ) / macro-expand
toplabel         = ALPHA / ALPHA *[ alphanum / "-" ] alphanum
                   ; LDH rule (See [RFC3696])

Regarding above Kurt is correct that we should allow for "." at the
end, which correctly means modification of toplabel to:

toplabel         = ALPHA / ALPHA *[ alphanum / "-" ] alphanum ["."]
                   ; LDH rule (See [RFC3696])

But underscores are not a problem because allocated domain (toplabel)
should not have any underscores and so the underscore would be in what
is referred to as 'macro-string' which is defined by:

macro-string     = *( macro-expand / macro-literal )
macro-expand     = ( "%{" macro-letter transformers *delimiter "}" )
                   / "%%" / "%_" / "%-"
macro-literal    = %x21-24 / %x26-7E
                   ; visible characters except "%"
macro-letter     = "s" / "l" / "o" / "d" / "i" / "p" / "h" /
transformers     = *DIGIT [ "r" ]

The part that allows underscore in domain spec is macro-literal which
may well be too open (i.e. allows for things that are not hostname) but that is what the current spec says and I think it is well understood
that transformation is expected to produce FQDN at the end.

I'll think about it more later tonight though...