[spf-discuss] DNS Packages

2006-05-20 05:04:24
At 10:14 AM 5/20/2006 +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
Scott Kitterman wrote:
> IIRC, the DNS library it uses, pyDNS, doesn't support IPv6.  That makes
> it tough.  The SPF specific part wouldn't be so hard.  Not sure how I'd
> test it though.

Retrofitting IPv6 support to libraries usually isn't all that hard.  The
hardest part in retrofitting IPv6 support is address entry and output in
the user interface (command-line or graphical), but libraries usually
don't have that problem.  So perhaps it would be an option to extend pyDNS
in cooperation with its authors?

Looks like pyDNS is dead. How hard would it be to switch to dnspython? http://www.dnspython.org/ is very active, and there is support for IPv6, DNSSEC, zone transfers, dynamic updates, TSIG authentication, ENDS0, etc. The package is bigger (1.41MB vs 196KB installed), but maybe we could strip out what isn't needed.

I would think supporting long records (more than 512 bytes) would be higher priority than IpV6. IPv6 may never happen.

-- Dave