Re: [spf-discuss] Rejecting "Best-Guess" failures

2006-07-20 14:09:27
On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 04:55:19PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

This is similar conceptually, although not nearly as draconian, as rejecting
mail that is not sent from an MX for the domain.  That seems to have fallen
back out of fashion because it was trying to tie mail sending and mail
receiving to the same server and there is no requirement for that.

Best guess tries to assume that there is some relationship between the IP
address of a legitimate sending mail server and either the MX or the web
server for a domain.  While this may often be true, there is no basis in
internet standards to make that type of assumption.

Yes, but keep in mind this is just the fallback.  If they don't like my
default, they're free to publish another, and that could even be "+all".

(which is explicitly telling me they don't mind forgeries, and will get them
eventualy blacklisted, of course ;).

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot(_at_)aybabtu(_dot_)com(_dot_)  Note: this address is
only intended for
spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.