Re: [spf-discuss] should SPF checks be before or after RBL

2006-10-03 09:25:15
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0610030939070(_dot_)21313-100000(_at_)bmsred(_dot_)bmsi(_dot_)com>
 "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com> writes:

OTOH, I need an SPF PASS result (real or guessed) before I can safely
auto-blacklist domains that send spam to random recipients.

I'm not sure what you are saying here Stuart...

While I can see wanting an SPF Pass before deciding whether the domain
should be blacklisted or not, I can't see a reason to not immediately
reject a domain that has been blacklisted.

If a domain is known to send mostly good email, then I can see having
an SPF Pass override some other anti-spam checks.

However, if a domain is known to send spam, then I doubt that anyone
who forges that domain would be *less* likely to spam than the domain
itself.  So, whether the spammy domain passes or not is irrelevant.

I guess I still don't see why it wouldn't be better to see if you
received a valid RCPT TO before doing any SPF or DNSBL checks.

-wayne