Re: [spf-discuss] should SPF checks be before or after RBL

2006-10-03 10:11:26
On Tuesday 03 October 2006 11:33, Ramprasad wrote:
On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 14:35 +0200, Daniel Wiberg wrote:
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 05:54:22PM +0530, Ramprasad wrote:
Hi,
  I am using postfix with rbls ( spamhaus , dsbl etc )
I have added SPF checks using policyd-spf-perl

Now which is the best place to do the spf checks. Should it be before
RBL checks or after. How do you folks configure them ?

After RBL checks, what is the point in doing SPF checks if you are going
to block the email anyway?

So a SPF lookup is heavier than a rbl lookup ?

It depends on what you are doing for RBLs.  In SPF, the major impact is the
DNS lookups.

An RBL is generally one DNS query per RBL.  SPF is at least one DNS lookup per
message and usually more (up to 10 is common it can be more).  So, if you are
looking up one or two RBLs, the RBL query is probably lighter.  If you are
looking up dozens of RBLs, then the SPF query is probably lighter.

Scott K