RE: [spf-discuss] SPF TXT Questions re Effectiveness

2006-12-01 14:44:43
George Hitz wrote on Friday, December 01, 2006 10:46 AM -0600:

Mea culpa on the wrong IP.  Thanks for the clarification.
(that's a real 'duuuuuh')

This hardly registers on the scale.  I've done far worse :)

I see that comcast.net has no SPF TXT file but that
gmail.com (my MTA/POP source) does have one - namely:

"v=spf1 redirect=_spf.google.com"

What does this do? and is it of any value to me?

As Gino described, this says to redirect the search for an SPF record to
_spf.google.com and use whatever TXT or SPF record is published there.
That SPF record happens to be a list of IP addresses along with a
softfail.  This means that any outbound MTA in that list will match and
generate a SPF pass, and if none of them matches, the result will be
softfail.  In general, this is a good result.

However, it's not clear what service you use to send mail.  You
mentioned Comcast, gmail and outbound.mailhop.org, which belongs to
Sprint.  To create a SPF record that describes your outgoing mail setup,
you need to list all the services through which you submit outbound mail
*that use your domain in the return-path*.

--
Seth Goodman