RE: [spf-discuss] SPF TXT Questions re Effectiveness

2006-12-02 06:49:31
    Seth Goodman wrote:

However, it's not clear what service you use to send mail. You
mentioned Comcast, gmail and outbound.mailhop.org, which belongs to
Sprint. To create a SPF record that describes your outgoing mail setup,
you need to list all the services through which you submit outbound mail
*that use your domain in the return-path*.

    Let me attempt to explain my setup.

    Comcast is my ISP.

    I also use Verizon DSL as an ISP during the summer months at a
    different location.

    On the SMTP side:

    To enable use of my domain in the FROM field regardless of which ISP
    I am using , I use the DynDNS SMTP service "outbound.mailhop.org".
    I have two such accounts with them as I have two bona fide
    usernames.

    Newbie question:  Is what I call the FROM field, the return-path?
    Outbound.mailhop.org is the ONLY place from which I send hitz.org
    e-mail.

    On the POP side:

    My domain host is DNSCentral.  I use them for mail forwarding to
    whomever.  At present I have set it to forward all hitz.org e-mail to
    GMail from which I POP into my OE.  I have three GMail accounts ... two
    for my bona fide usernames and one catch.all account.  It works
    very effectively as Google has excellent SPAM filtering. (as an aside,
    I used  Comcast for this function earlier, but blacklist issues arose on
    several occasions so moved to GMail)

    Now ... does this make sense? ... and does my SPF record cover
    the waterfront?   "v=spf1 include:outbound.mailhop.org -all"

    Thanks.

    George