Re: [spf-discuss] SPF TXT Questions re Effectiveness

2006-12-02 10:07:31
Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
Even if every dyn-dns user can forge other dyn-dns users's domains:
With SPF you authorize a server.  You don't claim authenticity of
the messages sent by such server (or any other claim on the messages).

I would agree, and had my friend setup his record as George did; basically exactly what the dyndns webpage suggests:
http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/archives/spf_and_dyndns_systemsservices.html

I just didn't want George to have unrealistic expectations about what publishing that record would get him.

Some people involved in SPF think it is a good idea to publish
something like: "v=spf1 ?include:outbound.mailhop.org -all"
in this case.  Others, and I am one of them, disagree.

That seems silly, though I suppose some way to distinguish between someone who runs their own, non-shared server where forgery that got a 'PASS' would require hijacking the box and the mailhop.org case might be useful. Though I think at that point, you might as well jump into DKIM and reputations.

Is dyn-dns authorized to send your mail?  Then it deserves a PASS.
If forgery does happen, you expect dyn-dns to react and (virtually)
kill the forger.

Agreed. I've got a mail out to my friend to see if it's possible for him to use another domain in his mail-from: after authenticating to dyn-dns. Of course, I'm not sure how he can test it without getting in trouble :-)

Robert

--
Robert Thille                7575 Meadowlark Dr.; Sebastopol, CA 95472
Home: 707.824.9753    Office/VOIP: 707.780.1560     Cell: 707.217.7544