Re: followup: Re: [spf-discuss] libspf2 sample programs

2007-01-04 11:59:16
On Thursday 04 January 2007 13:35, Don Lee wrote:
SPF HELO is a very low cost check, but does not match as often as Mail
From (not everyone has published SPF records for HELO, but they should).
HELO checks are a VERY reliable way to reject messages.  It is unlikely
to produce false positives.

Additionally, what will you check if you get mail from <>?

It is not clear on the web site, or in "common parlance" that
SPF is designed for, or to be used for, HELO.  I am looking into
using it on HELO, and am getting pushback from admins that this
is an abuse of SPF, and not "supported".

Is there a definitive statement I can point to that declares that this
usage is OK?

If you look in the SPF RFC, RFC 4408, it is not only OK, it is recommended:

http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408#helo-ident

HELO was not in the very early SPF proposals, but it was included as an
optional check for quite some time before the final RFC.

Corollary: is there instruction in the SPF setup "wizards" that gives
guidance to admins to make sure that SPF records support HELO
checking?

It does now:

http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

Scott K