RE: [spf-discuss] Current spf record for comcast.net?

2007-01-25 07:33:32
David MacQuigg wrote on Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:08 AM -0600:

They already provide this information to big companies like Yahoo.
They just need to publish it in a form that is easily accessed.  SPF
records are almost sufficient, and we use them to create default
records, but they are just a little short of what we need for a
robust HELO check.  So we ask senders who offer SPF authentication
to go one more step and publish "helo=spf" at _auth.<domain>.  The
incentive is an immediate improvement in their reputation, because
we can then reject the zombies using their name.

Comcast doesn't care if smaller domains say Comcast's mail will be less
deliverable if they fail to take the action du jour.  Some small system
operators already make such personal statements with zero impact.  If a
provider has enough customers to matter, they are unable to decline mail
from any other large provider, regardless of technical merits.  Unlike
the situation of CompuServe of the 1980's, Comcast and friends can
currently deliver their mail, and even the current spam load does not
appear to threaten that.

It's hard enough to convince large providers to keep their public list
of
outbound servers (SPF record) up to date.  Asking them to publish yet
another record under an arrangement that is not widely supported is
unrealistic and will only hinder SPF adoption.

--
Seth Goodman