[spf-discuss] Re: forwarded mail being bounced (by spf check)

2007-01-26 12:53:25
Seth Goodman wrote:

it will be very hard to convince individual providers to stop offering
a service _their_ customers utilize.  No one wants to be the first to
do this and lose customers for no immediate benefit.

FWIW, the about six mail providers I know don't offer it for various
reasons.  Two reasons I'm aware of:

1) They wish to announce modifications of their AUP and similar
   "official" mails to go into a mailbox on their own server.  For
   legal reasons "forwarded it somewhere, log file said 2xx" isn't
   good enough.
2) They offer basic POP3 and IMAP services only for users online with
   the corresponding ISP.  A kind of "free e-mail" service as long as
   users pay for the connection.  With a paid "premium" versions for
   users online with another ISP.

Among the ISPs picking 1+2 was T-Online.

This is why predicting the imminent demise of forwarding, because
we don't like it technically and because email as a whole would be
better off without it, is unrealistic at best.

Publishers of FAIL policies have obviously more pressing needs than
to survive rare cases of legacy forwarding to a third party checking
SPF.  My counter is still one pseudo-551 since 2004-05 (zero in 2006).

Frank