[spf-discuss] Re: Using SPF op=helo for HELO Authorization

2007-01-30 10:05:58
Alex van den Bogaerdt quoted:

www           CNAME example.com.
ftp           CNAME example.com.
asterisk      A     1.2.3.5
inbound1      A     1.2.3.6
inbound2      A     1.2.3.7
outbound1     CNAME inbound1.example.com.
outbound2     CNAME inbound2.example.com.
              MX    5 inbound1.example.com.
              MX    9 inbound2.example.com.
              TXT   "v=spf1 a:outbound1.example.com
a:outbound2.example.com -all"

Ugly.  Please do not follow this example.  List only hosts
that are "A", not "CNAME", in your SPF records.

A(inbound1.example.com) directly results in 1.2.3.6
A(outbound1.example.com) needs an extra lookup, via CNAME.

RFC 1033 states:

|           NIC.ARPA.       CNAME   SRI-NIC.ARPA.
|
|   There must not be any other RRs associated with a nickname
|   of the same class.

Apparently there are some RRs of the same CLASS (IN) associated
with "outbound2" in the example above, or did I miss a clue ?

And Seth mentioned to "extract the domain from the HELO FQDN",
if that describes anything else but "take the FQDN as is" it's
wrong wrt HELO checks by SPF.

Frank