Re: [spf-discuss] Re: (SOLVED) SPF blocking e-mails coming from an E-card service server

2007-05-01 11:43:25
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:39:08AM -0700, Devin Ganger wrote:

In other words: No problem is "solved" (see subject). All Dan has done
is to work around SPF, and while doing so he goes directly against the
spirit of SPF.

This is an uncharitable characterization. The very fact that Dan took the
time to find this list, join it, take feedback, make changes, and still come
back to engage in this discussion already shows his good intentions. While
his interim solution still isn't fully doing the right thing, he has
demonstrated a willingness to learn and to make the right changes. "All Dan
has done is to work around SPF, and while doing so he goes directly against
the spirit of SPF" makes it sound like you're accusing him of a deliberate
attempt to deceive folks.

Are you?

I am not accusing Dan of anything.  I was pointing out that the problem was
not "SOLVED" (see subject).  You say "... isn't fully doing ...".  I say
"...fully isn't doing, quite the opposite...".  And I stand by my opinion.

Earlier I only thought Dan was not able to see why SPF was invented and why
it is a bad idea to accept unverified user input as a sender address.

Now I am not sure anymore.  I am more and more convinced that Dan does not
care, enough or at all, about the fact that his service and thousands of
other, similar, services are part of the problem.  But I am still open to
the possibility that this is just ignorance, and that's why I had to ask.

Why do I think so?  Because on multiple occasions Dan is stating that he does
not think his site is part of the problem.  He is not a spammer and he does
not receive complaints, so all is well.  Anyone saying otherwise is harsh.

I am not going to comment on your opinion on how you have read and interpreted
the text I have written.  I will ask one thing: next time you are going to
attack someone personally (as opposed to something technical) please do so
in private and not on-list.

Thank you very much for your interesting choice of words.  I cannot help
thinking about the pot and kettle, I hope you see why.  I am not willing to
feed the fire thus I will not respond to this thread anymore.  This includes
the original topic as well as the topic drift which is about to occur.

Alex