Re: [spf-discuss] Re: (SOLVED) SPF blocking e-mails coming from an E-card service server

2007-05-01 14:24:35
On Tue, 1 May 2007, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Yes, that's clear.  I didn't follow all details of the philosophical
debate after that.  Of course it would be ideal to prevent any abuse,
and Alex' proposal with a confirmed login and passwords etc. would
do this .  But you're confronted with users who hate such "complex"
login / password procedures, and therefore you decided that it does
not work for you.

Not only that, but a get quite a bit of "confirmation" spam from web
sites informing me that someone has attempted to register my email.
Alex's cure is as bad or worse than the disease.  As it is, my content
filter has "learned" to ignore confirmation emails.  I think captchas,
as Dan suggested, are the next level of escalation in the spam wars as
it affects mail generating web sites.

On the infrequent occasions that I actually need to register somewhere, I
generally need to whitelist the sender of the confirmation email.

IMPORTANT POINT:  It is usually not obvious on a web site which address
or domain I need to whitelist.  I generally watch my mail logs just after
submitting the registration request - but most users have no way of
doing this.  *All web registration sites should clearly display where
the confirmations and emails from the site will be coming from*.
Typical end users will then "add the address to their address book" for
end-user friendly whitelisting.