spf-discuss

Re: [spf-discuss] Re: advice wrong, or is it?

2007-12-21 15:07:03
On 21-Dec-07, at 4:23 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:

This is how SMTP has worked since the early 1980s, and still works
today. If you choose to believe that by continuing to be compatible with how email has worked for over two decades I am 'doing the damage', then
so be it.

If you use -all, there are situations in which your mail will be thrown away. If you reject for failure, there are situations in which you will be throwing away genuine mail, forwarded through normal, SMTP- compatible
systems.

David,

You keep harping on the fact that SMTP has been working the way it has for 20 years and to change any facet of it that has the potential to throw away what is allegedly good email should be done away with.

The fact of the matter is that when SMTP was developed 20 or so years ago we didn't have the problems of forgery that we do today. We also didn't have the problem of malware and junk mail either. Do you advocate that the inclusion of tools like Spamassassin and ClamAV in the email process should be discarded as well?

On my system, that does check for SPF, Spamassassin and ClamAV are responsible for more ligitimate email be discarded than SPF is. As a matter of fact SPF has never rejected a legitimate email, ever!

David, I'm afraid your living in denial if you think that any changes in the SMTP protocol that requires a change in our own behaviour and expectations are unacceptable and not to be tolerated. You have a choice. You can either change your expectations and behaviour or accept the fact that your email will soon be accepted by fewer and fewer email servers. Since that's the case, you may as well give up now and find yourself a cave in that desert to crawl into now.

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive