Re: [spf-discuss] Email messages that are extremely un helpful...

2008-07-31 09:57:39
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Thursday 31 July 2008 12:01, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
Hello,

Today I received and email telling me I need SPF records.  But with no
information.  I sent an email back requesting headers but nothing came
back.  This is worse than having no SPF.  It really is spamming me.  Below
is the email.  I have SPF records that expect failures.  What are they
talking about.  One area, that I think SPF missed was CNAME.  I have tons
of host/domain pairs with CNAME.  I really dislike having to change every
CNAME into an A record.

SPF works fine with CNAMES.  If their implementation can't follow the CNAME,
then it's broken (I coded part of the CNAME support in pyspf and I know other
libraries support it too).

I know pyspf supports it.  I just do not understand where this came from.
The only thing I could find was that maybe a CNAME was being used.  But a
dig did give me the apporiate TXT record which should have allowed them to
get an SPF fail.

I know, but today I have had about 30 emails telling me about lacking SPF
records.  I really think there are broken libraries or something.  I
finally went in and change 200 CNAMES to A records late yesterday.
People really need to provide headers rather than spamming.  The email
really is a spam.  No substance what's so ever.  Broad general statements.
I have had SPF records from the very start.  So this just really upsets
me.  I use -all to fail any message not allowed by my record.  I just
notice a coupld of emails claiming you can no use a ? before entries
before -all.  Which according to RFC 4408 is reasonable.  They must really
have a broken library, that does not follow the spec in any way shape or
form.  I really do not know what they are talking about.  Without headers
I am shooting in the dark at a problem I really should not have.

Thanks,

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb(_at_)zenez(_dot_)com>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047