Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Email messages that are extremely un helpful...

2008-07-31 12:53:44
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
One area, that I think SPF missed was CNAME.

Why do you think that ?  AFAIK SPF doesn't say
"don't follow CNAME", that is a rule in 2821bis
about MX.

Well, since I changed the 200 CNAMES and put an SPF record for each one of
them, I have not received very many Mail-Daemon responses.  It could be
that the just finished a spam run or what ever email, they claimed I sent.
Yesterday, I received 10,000 Mail-Daemon responses for email, I did not
send.  today I have only had about 10.  The only change I made was the
CNAME's.  In a few of the Mail-Daemon response they claim I could no use a
? in front of my mechanism's before my -all.  All the ones I looked at had
ignored or not used the CNAME TXT record.  They claimed for example that

?ip:67.91.130.5 and ?a:etrn.xmission.com were invalid.  Also that
zenez.com did not have and SPF record.  I admit it is a bit of a different
DNS record, but I have used zenez.com this way since 1990.  So I really
doubt that is the problem.

| Until your SPF record are updated, you will
| be receiving this message each day, until
| the 1st of January 2009, for each daily
| message you send to our clients.

Sigh, the one thing that is always worse than
spam are wannabe-anti-spammers.  You say you
have a policy, so is that s/wannabe/clueless/ ?

I think they are a clueless wannable.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb(_at_)zenez(_dot_)com>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047