Re[4]: [spf-discuss] C/R Pros and Cons

2008-10-15 19:37:41
As  it  says  above  your  response  it  is only permanent *for that
recipient*.  A  new  message  envelope - or a web query - is exactly
what  we  are  talking about. With C/R (which I don't use - I'm just
objecting  to  your  rants)

The  case against C/R was settled years ago, and it's an embarrassment
to  have  to  debate  an even more primitive version than the one that
(briefly) saw the light of day.

The  "old  new"  C/R  that  is  being considered here only works in an
imaginary  world  where you get to publish a Standard RFC whenever you
want. Envelope-time C/R was already considered and dismissed. There is
nothing  newly  standardized  in  SMTP that makes it any more feasible
now.

the  5xx  (or  DSN)  is  in  some sense a lie: the message is stored
someplace.  It just won't be delivered until some event unrelated to
SMTP takes place. 551 says delivery to that recipient is dead in the
water - but suggests another recipient to use instead.

I fully understand the imaginary C/R implementation.

Unlike   the   real-world   C/R   implementations,   it   requires  an
across-the-board rewrite of the way SMTP senders deal with an existing
class  of  permanent  errors:  hiding  the permanence of the error and
substituting  friendly  language  that  directs  the  user  to  use an
out-of-band  method  of  requeueing/unquarantining  a  stored  message
object.

Like the real-world C/R implementations, it suffers from a plethora of
guaranteed  deal-killing  problems  because  listserves, et al. do not
read  responses, whether they are true DSNs, massaged DSNs, or crafted
procmail responses.

Like the real-world C/R implementations, it permanently adds HTTP into
SMTP as if that's just a small step that will not at all influence the
willingness/ability  of  even  *human*  senders  to  pursue  the final
delivery of the e-mail.

Unlike   the  real-world  C/R  implementations,  it  does  not  create
backscatter. Yet since the imaginary implementation isn't possible, it
hardly seems necessary to note this "pro".

And  to  believe  in  the imaginary C/R implementation apparently also
requires a suspension of disbelief that quarantines are *by their very
definition* outside of the people's day-to-day workflow.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: sandy(_at_)cypressintegrated(_dot_)com