xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Getting a list of node Text()

2007-06-19 20:01:21
On 20/06/2007, at 9:48 AM, Houghton,Andrew wrote:

One slightly related question, is it possible to remove
whitespace ( returns and spaces ) from before and after the
text.  So in this line from above :

<xsl:value-of select="."/>

If you don't mind compressing all whitespace, then

<xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(.)"/>

which remove the beginning, trailing and compresses all
runs of spaces to one.

If you really only want to remove whitespace from just the
beginning and end, then that's a little harder to do in
XSLT 1.0 vs. XSLT 2.0 which has regular expressions.

I did know about normalize, but it doesn't suit this particular situation, as I want to keep all of the spaces and returns within the text block consistent, but remove anything that the XML output format has added. Essentially, I want to only grab the explicit data within the CDATA section :

                                <Calculation>
<![CDATA[Table 1::Number1 & Custom 1 & External ( "Menu- Version"; "" ) & <Function Missing>]]>
                                </Calculation>

And unfortunately I'm stuck with xslt 1.0, as it has to also work in an older version as well. I'll try to work on parsing it out once I've done the transform.

Thanks again Andrew and David.

Cheers,
Nick