xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Saxon for .NET Installation Instructions

2007-10-24 05:46:14
Hi Jesper,

I wonder on what authority you speak. The only person I can think of that can speak on this list as "we" when it comes to rules of what can and cannot be posted should be Tommy Usdin. He, as far as I can remember, always tries to ban non-relevant topics. Sure, it can be a very fruitful discussion whether or not we should expand the topics allowed on this list (in general, people are quite broad minded already, considering the number of issues dealing with xml or url issues), but that would be a change of policy. Anybody who read the guidelines knows where to bring certain topics under attention.

In addition, why are you speaking of "two major" processors? Unless you mean Gestalt and Saxon, I wonder what else it could be. Altova is not even close to being compliant or stable (and about Gestalt, Colin himself states it isn't comformant either).

Further, if the creator of Saxon is so kind as to direct you to the right window to ask your questions, it would be considerate to follow up on him. If someone knows where and how to ask something, he should be the one.

Please don't speak for "we" unless you make clear what group you mean. Are you working for Mulberry Tech? Surely you don't mean the regular group of XSLT List users (but I can be mistaken, I can only speak for the comments I've read for the last 1.5 years). Perhaps you mean your co-workers?

I agree that it is very proper to learn more about a language by using more compilers, but it is usually not in the best interest of a company to use more than one compiler (and the same is true for XSLT and processors).

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Jesper Tverskov wrote:
Most XSLT users never make it to be a member of just one list. That is
why we even accept "too many too easy questions" at this list.

At a time when upgrading to XSLT 2.0 is a major issue, we should also
accept such questions even when they become product specific,
considering that we only have two major XSLT 2.0 processors.

In my opinion to learn XSLT the proper way you should use more than
one XSLT processor to stimulate our learning process. For XSLT 2.0 we
only have two for the major market.

That is unless we are falling behind or only use XSLT occasionally
both AltovaXML and SAXON should be very relevant for all of us.

Cheers,
Jesper Tverskov

www.xmlkurser.dk
www.xmlplease.com