xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Re: Output validation with XSLT 2.0

2008-05-05 06:33:08
On Mon, May 05 2008 13:24:12 +0100, dnovatchev(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com wrote:
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 4:02 AM, Liam Quin <liam(_at_)w3(_dot_)org> wrote:
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:29:33AM -0700, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
And what if there are two good books that say different things about a
feature? Isn't then the spec the "true source" to be used in resolving
any such ambiguities?

Not always -- you have to compare what implementations actually do in
such cases; sometimes the best anser is to change the specification to
reflect actual implementations.

We are *not* comparing worms and apples here.
By "resolving ambiguities" of two different implementations of a
feature I mean deciding which of them is compliant and which not
(wasn't this clear?).

Sometimes reality isn't that clear, e.g.:

   But most of all CSS 2.1 represents a "snapshot" of CSS usage: it
   consists of all CSS features that are implemented interoperably at
   the date of publication of the Recommendation. [1]

I doubt that producing a CSS 2.1 this way was a design goal of the
original CSS 2 effort.

Even if in a particular case the answer is that both implementations
are not compliant, the base for giving such an answer still will be
the spec that the implementations implement.

Unless enough people decide otherwise, e.g.:

   WS-I's deliverables provide resources for Web services developers to
   create interoperable Web services and verify that their results are
   compliant with WS-I guidelines. Key WS-I deliverables include
   Profiles, Sample Applications and Testing Tools. [2]

I like specs, I really do -- I've worked on several and am helping work
towards another one even now -- but Liam does have a point about specs
sometimes having to accommodate to reality.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony(_dot_)Graham(_at_)MenteithConsulting(_dot_)com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
[2] http://www.ws-i.org/deliverables/Default.aspx