Re: [fetchmail]Re: fetchmail fork?

2004-05-23 11:05:54
Graham Wilson wrote:
On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 04:51:46AM -0400, Rob Funk wrote:
Maybe we could start a "fetchmail-claws" or "fetchmail-ng" project at
berlios.de or sourceforge.  (I've heard enough sourceforge horror
stories that I'd suggest berlios or another smaller-scale clone.)

There is also Savannah[0] and Debian's Alioth[1].

I think moving fetchmail development to a branch of GNU would be fraught
with political issues that I'd prefer to avoid.

I see no political problem with Alioth, unless people don't want that close
an association with Debian. I'm not familiar with it technically other
than what it says on the front page.

One advantage to Berlios is that it allows using Subversion rather than CVS
(though CVS is still an option).

Thanks for putting this together Rob. I've got some more patches in
sitting in the Debian package that I haven't sent yet, because I didn't
figure they would go anywhere. However, if we get going again, I'd be
happy to send them.

I thought about looking at the Debian package for more patches, but decided
that could wait (and it was already way past my bedtime).

Other than finding a place to host development (and the all-important
naming), the next issue may be determining how to decide what patches go
in -- not only who has commit power, but who has veto power and how such
disagreements are resolved. (Heh, maybe I should go read ESR's writings
about some of the project governing options that have been used.)

Is there a consensus about what patches to 6.2.5 are needed in order to go
forward with development?

Hmm, I wonder if Eric has been experimenting with cathedral-style
development to see if it would provoke a bazaar-style fork.
--
==============================| "A slice of life isn't the whole cake
 Rob Funk <rfunk(_at_)funknet(_dot_)net> | One tooth will never make a full