Re: [fetchmail]Re: fetchmail fork?

2004-05-23 23:18:23
Graham Wilson wrote:

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 11:21:27PM -0400, Rob Funk wrote:

Agreed; everything here sounds good.

I suppose your not interested in coordinating releases, though, since
you no longer use fetchmail? Given that you are a backup maintainer,
though, would you be interested in giving the new project an initial
push?

To me that would include choosing an individual or small group to have
commit access to some central repository. That individual or group can
then choose whichever hosting solution is best for them.

Whatever the decision is, I think we should endeavour to make it quickly. I'm planning to merge in the patches Rob made available on his website into the 6.2.5 tree on my copy and begin working on the IMAP UID implementation (in fact, I'm doing this right now). I've briefly skimmed the patches and don't see a lot of potential conflicts, but right now anyone who's going to be doing any work has no stable codebase to base their work off of. I think if we want to kick start development, I think we need a source code repository and an active maintainer, and I know I'd like to see those sooner rather than later.

I'll go ahead and throw my system out there as a potential system to run CVS (or anythign else for that matter) from. It's not the beefiest box, but it is very reliable, has plenty of space, and sits on a fat pipe. I don't know that we really need to sign up for any of the open source development websites, as I'd be happy to host anything we need (bugzilla, mailing lists, CVS/Subversion, etc).

There's obviously numerous bugs people have reported recently, and quite a few wishlist items people would like to see implemented. As soon as we can all agree on a codebase to start coding from I think we could probably get fetchmail stable again shortly. I know there's a lot of cleanup to be done (removing pop3 LAST support and pop2 support from the codebase would be good for starters. Sorry, no one uses Pop2 anymore and there's plenty of archives for old fetchmail versions if they need it).

Clint