Re: text --> IA5 ?

1991-04-09 14:48:28
The question that remains, I think, is a simple one:  how many
troublesome cases like Vincent's example will there really be, and how
important are they?  Without much evidence to support it, I have a gut
feeling that the answer is "not too many and not too important."  If
this is the case, we can handle them much more simply with a small
proliferation of content-types, e.g.:

In other words, if there aren't too many such cases, we can handle them
by defining different content-types to handle the charset-variations
within a type such as nroff.

I disagree, Nathaniel.  Vincent's example demonstrates that the central
question remains "What is meant by content-type?".  Is a content-type a
symbol-mapping, or is it a language-mapping?  Your original choices -- IA5,
USASCII, or NVT-ASCII specify a symbol map.  But Vincent suggests the latter.

It seems to me that part of what you are trying to do is specify the lingua
franca of messages, besides provide a method to negotiate some other encoding.

I believe this is the proper thing to do.  But trying to enumerate the
universe of language maps is probably a fruitless task.  Any enumeration
will restrict the set of content-types, which is definitely the wrong thing.

Let us specify that the symbol set for describing message parts shall be
USASCII.  Further, I suggest that the interpretation of the content-type
argument be left to the UAs.  In the absence of any content-type specifi-
cation, the bytes of data should be interpreted as USASCII symbols.

This provides a framework for communication, and provides a means to
negotiate more complex encodings without restricting the set of content-
types available.  (It also avoids having to decide if content-type is a
symbol map or a language :-)  But I believe this _should_ be left to the
discretion of the UAs.)

I think it would be wise to provide a list of well-known content types, and
the rules for their interpretation as examples.  But I don't believe (nor
do I think it is your intent that) the RFC should restrict the range of
content-types included in messages.

-jwn2