Re: New-ish idea on non-ascii headers

1991-09-19 11:17:31

1) Prohibit nested encodings

Wrong scoping level.

Prohibit encodings on types MESSAGE and MULTIPART, which has as a side effect
a prohibition of nested encodings.

Fine, Pardon my shorthand.  This is what I ment.

State specificially that header/envelope information is in 7-BIT USASCII.

This also implies:

Prohibit character sets other than USASCII on types MESSAGE and MULTIPART.
Contents of MESSAGE and MULTIPART contents may have other character sets
according to character set qualifiers in lower-level types or through USASCII
-
safe means to carry through such concepts in headers (e.g. something like the
mnemonic proposal).

Sure, if you are willing to accept the x-real-from style headers
proposed by Nathaniel.  Otherwise you are cutting out the one
remaining mechanism proposed to allow non-usascii headers.

Greg V.