Re: New-ish idea on non-ascii headers

1991-09-19 14:01:43
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 19-Sep-91 Re: New-ish idea on non-asc..
Mark Crispin(_at_)panda(_dot_)com (390)

I'm not willing to accept anything that can't be ignored, and changing
character sets in the header/envelope information can't be ignored.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  Nathaniel's proposal sounds like the right one,
specifically because it can be ignored and most of the other ones can not.

It also has the advantage of guaranteeing a common format for the information,
so even if the other end can't grok the character set of the `real' stuff it
can always revert to the USASCII.

That's right, this is exactly the intent.  UA's in non-ASCII domains
will typically generate two headers for certain purposes:

From: Ugly-address-that-breaks-nothing
Real-From:  Nice looking name understood by compatible software, but
ignored for delivery/reply

One could argue that no "Real-Subject" is needed, since the Subject is
"only" for human consumption anyway, but I think it is clearer to treat
all such headers in the same way, and it is clearly unsafe to fool with
the address-related headers.

Do we need any Real-XXX headers besides

Real-Subject, Real-From, Real-To, Real-CC, Real-Reply-To

???  That's the set that comes to mind right away...