Headers: the universal character set option in detail

1991-10-18 02:05:32
Two comments:
1) I did not like, do not like and will not like any proposal that
   has the RFC specify 14 headers to be treated in a special manner,
   with no possibility for extension.

2) I lost a lot of enthusiasm for "just use mnemonic" when I discovered
   the following "mnemonic encoding": :"< (escape-char doublequote
   left pointed bracket).
   (for those of yo that did not guess, it is a non-spacing caron
   accent - not the commonest of characters, but might easily occur
   in stuff converted from ISO 6937 text, where non-spacing accents
   are THE way to go....)
   No problem in bug-free mailers, but what mailers are bugfree?

                               Harald Tveit Alvestrand