Re: Headers: the universal character set option in detail

1991-10-19 07:31:47
Oops, I stand corrected.  Encoded-variable as currently defined does
indeed suffer from the limited-number-of-headers problem.  However, it
could be otherwise -- in particular, we could probabaly allow it in any
quoted-phrase or comment, thus making it more open-ended.

Short comment:
  Whatever is done here, please always qualify "any..." with "except
transport-specified trace fields".  Otherwise, complex inter-layer
problems are going to, sooner or later, be introduced.  A universally-
known character set for trace information will also save us a LOT of
trouble in debugging when something goes wrong.
    john