Re: Headers: the universal character set option in detail

1991-10-18 17:34:32
I am talking about
      Segmentation violation (core dumped)
as a helpful error message to an attempt to read your mail file.

Wow, I didn't think of that. I am making some effort to find out how
wide-spread this problem is. However it does raise the question of
how far we should go in allowing for broken software. If it is mail
software used in the backbone I can see the point, but at the end-points?
We are not talking about declaring conformant software broken, we are
talking about declaring broken software broken. I have no problem
with doing this. How far should we go in protecting Sun and DEC from
their decision to take software knocked out in a research project then
sell it to the public without even looking at it?

In a one-line summary: yes, you are missing something.

And not for the first time. I'd like to thank the people who've paid
for my education with their time. I hope others have profited from the
process.

Bob Smart