Re: RFC-HDR care and feeding

1992-01-27 08:39:43
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 24-Jan-92 Re: RFC-HDR care and feeding Keith Moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu (618)

It may be the case that the document is easy to understand and is
sufficiently precise that implementations based on the spec are likely
to work together. But so far I've only heard from one person who has tried
to implement it, and that person did find "bugs" in the spec.

I believe I'm the person Keith's referring to. My metamail software, to be announced later today on the net, includes a partial implementation of RFC-HDRS. The reason for the "partial" is simply the unsuitability of the metamail architecture -- which patches existing ASCII-only mail readers -- for displaying headers in alternate character sets. But it does find & decode all the variables, and will do "the right thing" for any header that's in the same character set that's expected by the terminal you're using.

The only bugs I recall finding were pretty small, and Keith fixed them quite quickly. So my take on it is that RFC-HDRS is pretty solid... -- Nathaniel